Saturday 2 October 2010

02.10.2010

I never know what title to give these blog posts - thought i'd just stick with the date for this one!

So i'm writing this from my little studio flat! I'm all moved in now, and everything is slowly finding its right place.
My first night here last night went well. I went out for a really lovely dinner with my parents, at a restaurant called 'Au Tout Petit', just around the corner from where i'm living. It is the current number one rated website on tripadvisor, and despite quite a dubious looking menu, it was AMAZING. really really yummy. I had such a lovely evening, it was a really nice way to end the time i've spent here with my parents.
It is quite noisy here at night - there's constantly the noise of mopeds and car horns, plus all the shouting and general noise made by all the revellers going to the bars around me. I've only been here on a friday and saturday night so far, so maybe they will be exceptions and the rest of the week will be fairly quiet. i hope so. i'm fairly used to living in towns, thanks to my two years in cardiff, so i should be ok. i brought ear plugs with me !!
Today the 3 of us wandered around the town a bit before m+d had to leave to go home. we got a nice baguette and some paté from les halles and had a nice lunch at my flat, and then they left to go up mont ventoux and then on to their hotel for the night in macon, just north of lyon. it was so sad saying goodbye, but i'll be back home in less than 3 weeks, and i'm sure time will just fly by. it was hard to say through the tears at the time, but i really can't thank them enough for all the help they gave me. i honestly don't think i could have made this transition without them. they spent so much time and money and effort on getting me sorted and it means so so much. i don't know of any other people going on their years abroad whose parents spent 2 weeks helping them get settled and feel at home, so i'm really really lucky in that respect. i know they'll both read this, so thank you. you are amazing. i love you.

The american girl's flight was delayed today (again!) so she missed her connection at gatwick and will only just be arriving about now. we had to postpone the party for her, and it will happen tomorrow now i think. i bought her a little present and a card today anyway. hope she likes it!
There were also more strikes and protests today against the raising of retirement ages. outrageous. the streets were packed this afternoon with people. i think i'm going to use all this for one of the essays i have to write. it's definitely relevant!

When we were out about on our wander this morning, we bumped into Helen, another assistant working in avignon who i had got to know a bit through facebook, and who i share a mutual friend with. it's a small world! i had given her my mobile number, but she had tried to call it and send me texts, but none of them went through and so i didn't receive any of them. i didn't have her number, and the place she's staying in doesn't have internet, so if we hadn't had bumped into each other, we would probably have never really have got in touch. as it was, i went to meet her in town this afternoon, and she came back to my flat and we chatted and had tea together. we have so much in common, and its so nice to finally have a friend in the town. we're meeting up tomorrow morning to have a browse round les halles and try and get her sorted in her flat. as my mother would say, this is an example of the universe looking out for me. everything happens for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment